Technician (F / M) in plant microscopy and image analysis
Organization: CIRAD (Center for International Cooperation in Agronomic Research for Development)
CIRAD (Center for International Cooperation in Agronomic Research for Development) investigates and facilitates the diffusion of knowledge to support innovation and agricultural development in partnership with southern/tropical countries.
CIRAD main objective is to contribute to sustainable agriculture in tropical and Mediterranean regions, adapted to climate change, in order to feed 10 billion inhabitants in 2050, while preserving the environment.
Deadline: 06/30/2020 (30th of June 2020)
Description of the future assignment :
- Technician (F/M) in plant microscopy and image analysis
- Field: Science – Agronomic Sciences
- Type of Contract: Permanent position
- Starting date: 01/08/2020 (1st of August 2020)
Job / mission description
You are attracted by the international dimension of development, by research, and by the contribution of plant improvement to meet the global food security goals in the context of climate change. CIRAD is recruiting a technician in optical microscopy and image analysis within the PHIV imaging platform of the AGAP joint research unit Genetic improvement and adaptation of Mediterranean and tropical plants (UMR 108). The research unit has 310 employees grouped into 13 research teams, 9 technical platforms, and 3 biological resource centers.
UMR AGAP conducts research onto the analysis and better uses of agro-biodiversity (at scales ranging from the genome to the population), and on the understanding of the genetic, cellular, and functional bases of adaptation to biotic and abiotic environments and the quality of the products of cultivated plants. Plant imaging is experiencing a strong development in the AGAP UMR with the emergence of anatomical phenotyping, in vivo imaging of plant response to biotic and abiotic stresses and the development perspective, interaction imaging Plants-Insects, Plants-Microorganisms, and Plants-Plants. These high-potential and innovative approaches require dual skills in microscopy and image analysis. PHIV is a leader in the field of anatomical phenotyping, thanks to the methodological developments carried out and applied to rice, sorghum and vines.
You will cover the development needs in microscopy and image analysis to answer the questions of the AGAP teams. You will perpetuate this activity within PHIV following the retirement of one of its experienced agents. You will take in charge of the development and support to the AGAP teams in imaging and image processing (in relation to the image analysis researcher recruited by the Phenomen team of CIRAD), and you will support the digital data management policy (image banking and storage) developed at AGAP and CIRAD. You will strengthen the capacity of PHIV and AGAP to actively participate in major research projects of national and international scope, in the south in the north, as well as with private partners.
Your skills in microscopy and image analysis will ensure the continuity of the link with the regional platform “Montpellier Ressources Imagerie” (UMS Biocampus, CNRS, INSERM, University of Montpellier) within the France BioImaging, and Euro-BioImaging infrastructures.
Desired profile/ Required level:
Bachelor of Science related to optic / image analysis
- Significant experience in imaging
- Mastery of the principles of optical microscopy, in transmitted light and in fluorescence, confocal and multi-photonic microscopy
- Basic knowledge desired in programming language
- ImageJ mastery (macro programming)
- Knowledge of Imaris software would be appreciated
- Interest, curiosity for plant biology
- Fluency in English (oral and written), French (Basic)
- Awareness of the quality approach
- Ability to work in interdisciplinary teams
- Interest in training and knowledge transfer
- Computer and laboratory . organizational skills
- Work on screen greater than 4 h
- Isolated and / or confined activities