Senior Bio-Image Analyst at Scionics (Dresden, Germany)
Organization: Scionics Computer Innovation GmbH
We seek to recruit a highly motivated individual to work as part of a team dedicated to biological image analysis. This team is based within an academic research institute (MPI-CBG) and provides image analysis services to the Dresden scientific community. The close vicinity of research groups working at the interface of biology and physics as well as optical technology development and image processing provides an exciting and unique environment to work on multidisciplinary projects.
The Senior Bio-Image Analyst will support the needs of wet lab biologists by meeting with them to discuss their projects and proposing and implementing solutions for the image analysis component of their research. There is also the opportunity to work closely with a range of computational research groups focused on computer vision, machine learning, and bio-image analysis. The Dresden campus has a strong involvement in the Fiji/ImageJ/Knime community and involvement in such efforts is also encouraged.
As the senior analyst within the team, the position also provides the opportunity to mentor, guide and collaborate with other team members. The senior analyst will use existing software packages to demonstrate and implement quantitative, scientifically rigorous and repeatable image analysis pipelines while also considering factors such as usability and the integration of the solution into existing infrastructure. The team deals with a diverse and exciting range of projects and a successful candidate will enjoy innovating and being creative in using existing tools, and testing and implementing new tools, to efficiently solve scientific problems. In addition, the successful candidate will contribute to the teaching of image analysis strategies and techniques, will keep up-to-date with new trends, and will work to continue our strong relationships with imaging facilities on campus.
This is a full-time, onsite position (Dresden, Germany), with salary based on experience. Scionics may provide assistance with moving costs.
- Help scientists design and build successful image analysis pipelines using a variety of open source and commercial packages primarily ImageJ/Fiji but also Huygens, Imaris, Matlab and Cell Profiler
- Manage a “walk-in” consulting service for scientists to guide them to the correct software and image analysis solution
- Write custom scripts, macros, and code to combine, integrate, and expand existing tools when necessary
- Teach and train researchers with regard to image analysis techniques and appropriate scripting tools
- When necessary collaborate with researchers to develop and implement algorithms that solve specific image processing problems from cell and developmental biology
- Test and propose new tools and strategies in order to keep up-to-date with current Bio-Image Analysis trends
- A minimum of a PhD (or Masters with 5 years experience) in biology with experience performing (image) data analysis or alternatively a Physics / Computer science / data analysis background with experience working with biologists
- Proven expertise in image processing, its application in biology and experience with a variety of image analysis software
- Familiarity developing image analysis solutions and algorithms with Fiji/ImageJ, Knime, MATLAB, or other appropriate tools and directly in Python, Java or equivalent language
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to explain complex information in an easy to understand way
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary environment with rapidly changing projects and to multitask
- The capability and desire to act as a project team leader, mentoring and guiding other members of the team where necessary
- The successful candidate will be a strong team player who is curious, creative, and rigorous
- Must be fluent in English
Contract: Scionics offers favorable contract conditions and salary based on experience.
Corporate culture: Scionics is an SME with strong ties to academia. If you work here, you will meet a lot of international people (~50% of your colleagues would be non-German) and get a good opportunity to broaden your horizons horizons not only culturally but also with regard to modern science. The work environment in Scionics is informal and with less bureaucracy than a big corporation (but not as chaotic as a start-up).
Location: Scionics is headquartered in Dresden, a beautiful but still affordable city. The Scionics offices are located close to the river Elbe, with residential areas within walking distance. According to WirtschaftsWoche, a German business magazine, Dresden with its 500,000 inhabitants is the most dynamic city in Germany.
Company stability: Scionics is a privately held, profitable company.
If you are interested in this position, please send your CV and any relevant documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “BioImage Analyst.”